Adobe Illustrator for Children's Book Illustrators!
Painting with shapes!
In the hour-long (free) workshop video (above) illustrator and graphic designer Wendy Martin discusses how she and other illustrators have been using Adobe Illustrator to produce their final art for children's book assignments.
You can see it enlarged in full screen on YouTube and adjust the setting to 720p high definition once the video has started playing.
Vector art, with its peculiarly crisp, glossy and highly commercial look is the medium of choice for many educational publishers, kids' game up developers, stock art houses and companies that license artists' work for merchandising.
Wendy shows how it's possible to create lush, painterly-style imagery evocative of fine children's book art using only a handful of the Illustrator tools. She covers drawing and inking with those tools, color blocking using palettes and flat color and shading and creating highlights by applying gradients of values and colors.
She demos her favorite tools: the brush and blob brush tools, the blend and gradient mesh tools and the rectangle tool and how she tweaks these to create her lovely effects.
She talks about how she likes to blend her art with traditional mediums like watercolor and color pencils for the fun, pleasure and sheer joy of it and you can do it, too!
Vector Your Book Art!
Taught by Wendy Martin in seven videos. $149
Wendy's recorded class sessions will get you up and running with the dazzling tools of Adobe Illustrator: Signup takes only 30 seconds.
Scroll down for details and student testimonials!
Can you find these 10 hidden pictures in the "Band Practice" scene? (on the right)
Band Practice by Wendy Martin
What you can expect from Wendy's video lessons
- Learn to work digitally without your art resulting in a 'cookie cutter' look.
- Discover the advantages of working with scale-able vector art: Make images useful for multiple applications. Open avenues to children's educational and licensing markets.
- Follow Wendy's step-by-step process instructions to complete a polished, personal project.
- Structured course presentations with strategic milestones for you to meet in each lesson.
- Complete the class and your promotional postcard at your own pace, with videos you can stop and start and replay as often as you like.
- Receive your own course completion raccoon of honor badge created by Wendy that you can affix to your artist's website, blog or online portfolio.
You can do this!
© Marks and Splashes online learning 2014